In 1999, a group of individuals from the area decided to combine their time and talents to promote and implement a lay Catholic Radio Broadcast Ministry. This was the first step in realizing the vision of bringing Catholic Radio to this area. On December 12, 2000 the group registered as Real Presence Radio Inc. in the state of North Dakota.
Real Presence Radio (RPR) is a lay apostolate currently with signals in North Dakota, Minnesota, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Governed by the Board of Directors, RPR is listener supported and a registered 501(c)(3) charity. RPR is dedicated to answering the call of Pope John Paul II for a New Evangelization.
On November 6, 2004, RPR purchased and began operating its first station, AM 1370 KWTL, in Grand Forks, ND.
On February 6, 2009 broadcasting began on AM1280 KVXR, Moorhead in conjunction with an Asset Purchase Agreement which was signed on February 13, 2009. On April 23, 2009 the final purchase of AM1280 and FCC approval was completed.
On December 12, 2009, RPR became the only applicant for an NCE license at FM 91.3 in Mandan, ND and, on April 14, 2010, received final permission from the FCC. On Oct 22, 2010, with an on air blessing by Bishop Paul Zipfel, RPR began airing programming on KPHA 91.3 FM.
On January 20, 2011, RPR began airing programming on translator 89.1 FM in Williston, ND and on February 20, 2011 on translator 91.1 in Minot, ND.
On October 16, 2012, RPR purchased and began operating 101.9 FM KZZQ to provide coverage to the Dickinson area.
In September 2013, RPR purchased the license and began building a tower for what would become KZTW 104.1 Tioga. In September 2014, RPR began broadcasting on affiliate station 99.7 in Jamestown.
On December 1, 2014, RPR began broadcasting on KXRP 91.7 Bismarck, and on December 12th the build was completed and broadcasting began at 100KW on KZTW 104.1 Tioga.
In June 2015, affiliate 98.9 in Belcourt, ND. began broadcasting the programming of RPR, and on August 3, 2015 RPR added signal KJRC 89.9 in Rapid City, SD. WBKK 820, in Bemidji, MN, became part of the family on October 21, 2015.
In February 2016 RPR signed purchase agreements for WWEN 88.1 in Wentworth, Wisconsin to provide a signal to the Duluth/Superior area and for translator WAFR 91.1 in Harvey, ND.
Our programming is distinctively Catholic by providing a mix of devotionals, prayers, call-in programs, the daily Mass, and both local and national programs concerning the Catholic Faith.
- Steve Splonskowski is an Ex Officio member of the Board of Directors and has been Executive Director since March 2007. Steve has an MBA and a Master in Management degree from the University of Mary. Steve hails from Hawley, MN, where he lives with his wife, Jacinta and seven children.
- Lisa Durkin is our Business Office Manager and Executive Assistant. Lisa holds a Bachelor in Office Administration degree and has tax preparation experience. She & her husband have three children and live near Inkster, ND. She is also a 4H leader and religious education teacher.
- Carmen Walker is a part-time Administrative Assistant, Volunteer Coordinator, and Events Assistant. She obtained a Bachelor in Marketing/Management Degree from the University of North Dakota. Carmen has been married to her husband Mark for 24 years and they have one child. They have resided in Grand Forks for 26 years.
- Janelle Schanilec coordinates our Listener Relations. Janelle worked previously for many years as manager for Holy Family Bookstore. Janelle is a member of St. Mary’s Cathedral in Fargo and is active with the World Apostolate of Fatima. She is a Third Order Carmelite.
- Brad Wilson is our Chief Engineer. Brad resides in South Moorhead. He has an Associates Degree in Electronics, National Registry of Paramedics through United Hospital Grand Forks from 1978-82. From 1982-2000 he worked full time for KTHI/KVLY Television and for 2 years part time as engineer and studio and remote broadcast gear tech. He also did freelance work for ESPN and Turner Network for various events. Brad ran the service department at Marguerite’s music for 4 years and did engineering/IT work for Clear Channel, Radio Fargo Moorhead and Midwest Communications for 8 years. He is an avid musician and plays in a weekend band locally. He and his wife Julie have been married for 26 years. They have a 15 year old son, Adam, and five children in heaven.
- Brandon Clark works in Programming and Production. Brandon Clark obtained a bachelor in Mass Communications degree with a specialization in Journalism from North Dakota State University and has professional producing and reporting experience. While in college, Brandon served as a Student Missionary for The Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), leading men in a weekly bible study.
- Jessica Skroch-Events Coordinator and Listener Relations Assistant
- Jamie Rader- Listener Relations for Rapid City Area
- Jerry Zimmerman- Listener Relations for Western North Dakota
- Joanne Neher- Listener Relations for Duluth/Superior Area
Board of Directors
- Steve Loegering (Entity President, Board Vice-Chair) has been a volunteer of this radio apostolate since 1998 and is a founding member of RPR. He is a proud father of five and very blessed with an understanding and supportive wife, Ronda. He holds degrees in Tool and Die, a B.A. in Business Administration and Philosophy. Steve also has over 28 years of family business experience and owns SJ Machine.
- Edward E Schmitz (Entity Vice-President, Board Chair) is married with four children, nine grandchildren and is a 35 year Member of Holy Spirit Catholic Church in Fargo, ND. He has a B.S. and M.A. in education from Minot State and NDSU. After teaching and coaching he has been in the financial planning business for 40 years. He became a RPR board member in October 2005.
- John R. (Jack) Kennelly is (Board Secretary) Vice President of Mission for SMP Health System, a rural Catholic health care system operating 4 hospitals, 6 nursing homes, and 2 home health agencies throughout North Dakota and Central Illinois. His responsibilities include working with each facility to continue and expand on their current Mission efforts. Jack brings 27 years of legal and compliance experience, including work with hospitals, nursing homes, and other related health care operations whose mission focused on rural health care. He and his wife, Doreen, live in Fargo and have three adult children and three grand children.
- Robert Dosch (Board Treasurer) was nominated to the board in February 2008. He is an Associate Professor in the Department of Accountancy at UND. He and his wife Karen have three children and are parishioners of the St. Thomas Aquinas Newman Center in Grand Forks.
- Chuck Huber was elected to the board in March 2010, Chuck and his wife Pat have two children and are from Bismarck. He has been a business, real estate broker since 1974, involved in hotel and office building ownership. Chuck has had a desire for several years to have a catholic radio formatted station in the Bismarck area based on experience with EWTN programming thru cable TV and the internet.